Most definitely! LCS designs can work in any form factor and with most any IT equipment. We cool any combination of CPUs, GPUs, ASICs, memory and/or storage, no matter the brand or original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
In some cases, a good first step is to convert your current air-cooled equipment – and enclosure – to immersion. After there’s a satisfactory prototype, we can discuss either: 1) converting more units, or 2) licensing the design to you and/or your OEM. Beyond the initial solution, future design iterations may enable smaller, more powerful form factors optimized for immersion cooling.
In other cases, rather than using your current enclosure, we may suggest placing your electronics in one of our standard 2U-4U ZPS enclosures – or design a new custom form factor altogether.
There are lots of options when you have physics and immersion cooling on your side! Fill out this form to learn more and get started.
A: A thorough analysis of an LCS server rack conducted by the US National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL) determined our servers operated with a cooling PUE in the 1.03-1.06 range. A copy of that report can be requested by clicking. The low value, confirmed in various other studies, is driven primarily by three factors: 1) the specific heat capacity of the dielectric liquid is 1,400 times higher than air; 2) complex HVAC systems typically found in air-cooled data centers are eliminated; and 3) the removal of small board fans, unnecessary in immersion systems, that can also consume between 5-20% of a server’s energy. The energy consumed by these small board fans is routinely – and somewhat misleadingly – considered as “IT Power”.
Absolutely! LCS technologies save energy, land and water … and even reduce e-Waste by making systems last longer.
The patented immersion cooling methods developed by LCS eliminate fans & complex HVAC systems. As a result, the energy required to cool computers is slashed by 40 to 90%, or more. And we’ll show you the studies that prove it. It’s powerful – and profitable – to have physics on your side.
As for land and space, because immersion cooling and dielectric fluid is 1,400x more effective than blowing hot air, our systems enable increased compute densities. That means your devices can be smaller and more powerful. For data room applications, multiple racks of computers can be replaced with one … so there’s no need to pave paradise for massive data centers. And smaller facilities means reduced development costs.
In times of drought, it seems irresponsible to build air-cooled data centers that use evaporative cooling and can require millions of gallons of water each day … but that’s the bizarre standard today. Water should be for people, not computers – and LCS systems make that a reality, because our designs consume ZERO water.
Completing the cycle, immersion systems by LCS reduce or eliminate many root causes of equipment failure. Dust, dirt and gaseous impurities in the air can’t touch our boards, and changes in humidity are harmless too. LCS components run cooler and are less exposed to thermal stresses. Consequently, your systems will last longer – and landfills will grow slower, along with mines for rare earth metals not needed so soon.
With LCS systems, it is easy to be green – both environmentally and economically.
No wonder Solar Impulse likes us. We think you and your clients will too – so contact us and let’s get greener together today!
A very long time. LCS devices are designed for extreme reliability. Our immersion cooling methods reduce or eliminate nearly all major causes of electronics failures. Components are protected from oxidation, corrosion, dust, electrostatic discharge, and humidity. And there are no high speed fans to fail or create board vibrations. Instead of cooling only the hottest parts – as cold plate designs using liquid cooling typically do – our immersion methods cool AND protect the entire device. LCS immersion systems keep components cooler than air-cooling and minimize thermal board stresses.
In an ongoing test, a system of LCS servers has been in continuous operation for nearly five years. After over 250,000 device hours at 100% CPU load there have been no failures or changes in cooling performance and periodic inspections of the servers have shown them to be in ‘like new’ condition.
Bottom line, you can be confident that LCS servers will operate reliably over the entire useful life of the product, whether that is three years, five years, or more.
Clean as a whistle – components after 36 months
Compared to an air-cooled server with identical specs, the upfront costs of a four node device are about equal, or slightly higher on a per-node basis. However, the energy savings, combined with increased compute densities, and reduced preventive & corrective maintenance requirements, lead to upfront capital expenditures and ongoing operating costs being considerably less than legacy, air-cooled environments.
LiquidCool Solutions are green – both environmentally and economically. To find out just how much greener – contact us today!
LiquidCool Solutions uses patented immersion cooling technology to eliminate fans and other complex HVAC systems. LCS dielectric coolant is in direct contact with the entire circuit board, protecting and cooling ALL components – not just the hottest processing elements, as cold plates do.
Our designs incorporate Single Phase solutions with no boiling. We use pumps and directed forced flow mechanisms that do not rely upon changes in density or phase to move heat. Depending upon customer goals & objectives – such as energy reuse, versus facility constraints or other factors – LCS can provide single or two loop configurations that may include dielectric recirculation pumps. No matter the design, our systems require a small fraction of the energy needed by air-cooled methods, whose heat capacity is 1,400x less effective.
In every solution, dielectric fluid is pumped through the device, capturing high quality heat (up to 60°C) for transfer out of the unit. The thermal energy then flows to a heat exchanger, where it can be efficiently reused via a liquid-to-liquid heat exchanger – for hot water or building heat – or transferred directly to the environment via a dry air cooler or radiator. Once the fluid’s temperature is reduced, it returns to the IT components and the cycle repeats – much like an automobile’s internal combustion engine and radiator. The fluid’s ‘lower’ temperature can be as hot as 45°C (113°F), while still keeping components cooler than air can at 20°C (72°F).
Want to be greener – both economically and environmentally – then fill out this form … and let’s get started today!
LCS cooling of IT equipment offers a variety of advantages over air-cooling:
- Energy efficiency. Because LCS cooling eliminates fans and cools far more efficiently than air, the power to cool servers is reduced by up to 98% compared to air-cooling. Further energy savings are gained because the need for air conditioning and air-handling systems is virtually eliminated. And saving energ reduces operating expenses.
- Reliability. LCS total immersion cooling reduces or eliminates the causes of most electronics failures, such as oxidation, corrosion, heat, temperature fluctuations, and vibration. As a result, mean-time to failure is expected to be much longer compared to conventional computing systems. In addition, the elimination of fans, filters & other HVAC components leads to less preventive and corrective maintenance – which improves operating and capital budgets.
- Increased Compute Densities. The patented, directed flow immersion systems designed by LCS enables more compute power in smaller areas. LCS cooling can readily support compute densities in excess of 50kW per server rack. Higher compute densities lead to smaller form factors and data centers – and that saves money.
- Harsh Environment Operation. LCS systems package electronics within sealed metal enclosures, protecting components from the effects of oxidation, corrosion, dust, dirt, humidity, and electrostatic discharge. LCS systems are also capable of operating at temperatures well below freezing and at temperatures above 100°F.
- Silent Operation. LCS systems have no noisy fans, nor other components of coplex HVAC systems. Pumps used by LCS have a decibel level at point of use that is typically less than can be measured. In other words, silent.
- Reuse of Thermal Energy. Air-cooled computers generate low quality, nuisance heat. By contrast, LCS systems can cool devices and capture high quality rejected heat, in fluid form at 60°C, that is immediately suitable for reuse. This thermal energy can then be transferred, via a liquid-to-liquid heat exchanger, to provide free heat and hot water to facilities or homes. Air-cooled facilities cannot accomplish this feat without inefficient and expensive cooling units and heat pumps – as Facebook did in Odense.
- No water consumption. Today’s hyper scale data centers obtain permits to access millions of gallons per day from aquifers and surface sources controlled by water districts – and evaporative cooling methods are used by smaller facilities too. Immersion cooling systems designed by LCS use dielectric fluids, consume no water, and have a Global Warming Potential of zero.
The first Internal Combustion Engines were cooled by air – until they became too powerful. Electronics are making that same transition – and the talented team at LCS is helping lead the way.
LCS designs ‘single phase’ immersion systems that use non-evaporating, synthetic hydrocarbon dielectric fluids. Our systems – whether vented or sealed & nominally pressurized – use the forced flow of a pump, not changes in density or phase (boiling), to transfer heat. As a result, fluid is not lost to evaporation and need not be replenished.
All LCS systems are designed with drip-free, quick disconnect fittings to prevent spillage. Pressure testing is also conducted. In the unlikely event of a leak of coolant, automatic safety features are available with sensor to detect low level or overheating conditions.
No – and we don’t use mineral oil either. Instead, the coolant used in LCS systems is a synthetic hydrocarbon fluid specially formulated for electronics cooling and to meet military standards for aeronautics applications. LCS coolant has roughly half the viscosity of mineral oil, which reduces the pumping energy needed to circulate the coolant. It also contains additives to prevent oxidation and promote extremely long coolant life. Our coolant is commercially available from a variety of sources, 100% non-volatile, non-hazardous, and never needs replenishment over the life of the system. And it has a Global Warming Potential (GWP) of zero.
Some LCS configurations use two loops. The first loop, inside the device, consists of recirculating dielectric fluid that is directed across IT components by LCS’ patented forced flow methods. The second loop, which may use water, is connected to the first loop via a liquid-to-liquid heat exchanger that can be placed internal or external to the device.
Because of the extreme reliability of directed-flow total immersion cooling, LCS servers require a lot less maintenance than conventional server. However, in the event you need to perform component upgrades, the process is simple. LCS server systems are modular in design with all fluid connections made using drip-free quick-connect fittings. This makes it possible to remove a server from a rack just as easily as a conventional server. Next, using a service tool developed by LCS, fluid can be drained from the server in less than two minutes. After removing a few screws and opening the enclosure, components can be added or removed in the same manner as with a conventional server. After re-securing the enclosure, the server can be refilled using the same service tool, again in under two minutes. Any residual fluid can be cleaned up easily with glass cleaner and a paper towel.